Sunday, October 10, 2010

A challenging bay window gets an updated look

Yes, all bay windows are different, and almost always a challenge when it comes to the hardware involved.  Our latest candidate had the "typical" dropped ceiling we've seen in many homes in our area, but this one had a big difference:  no space between the window and ceiling.  See what I'm talking about:

The previous treatment used the small white oval rod for a valance (not in this picture) and the sheers, and a traverse rod for the panels.  These rods were visible from outside as well as inside when the sheers and panels  were pulled open.  The client still wanted panels, but didn't want to see the hardware---I agreed!  See the glaring picture below for the before:

Privacy was important, as well as finding a new fabric for the panels.  We decided to say bye-bye to sheers and give the area a newer look with bamboo shades.  She was quickly on board for this look, and after seeing the lining options, she new she could have privacy and added insulation for the windows.  Installation for the shades was easily an inside mount, as the windows were fairly deep set.  Here's the woven wood fabric:

Now to find a fabric for the panels and decide on their fullness.  The client did not want to lose the beautiful, full view she had through the center window, and realized the sheers had been covering the side windows  most of the time.  The old panels were very full when pulled open because they traversed over the entire window.  By using shades for privacy, we didn't need to worry about using so much fabric, but just to get the right amount of fullness for each single panel.  It was decided to use a single width for the middle panels, and one-and-a-half widths for the ends.  By using the napped sateen for lining, we knew they would have nice, rounded pleats and plenty of fullness. 

Here's some of the fabric swatches we sent to K. so she could see each in her home, with her lighting:

(embroidered leaves)

We also looked at fabrics with a dark background, but really liked the lighter, fresh look some of these offered.   The embroidered fabric was too pale, the middle fabric was too old fashioned, but the first fabric, with the tan and white leaves on the aqua background, was just right.

All that was left was ordering our  "hardware", which is referred to as a "pin strip".  If you make window treatments, you probably are familiar with Rowley Company.  If you're not in the biz, just trust me when I tell you they have thought of everything.  I think K. was happy to report to her husband that the hardware would cost less than twenty bucks!  Here's the little piece that made this bay window a success:

Finally, the finished window:

If you think you have a challenging window--let us decide.

No comments:


Blog Widget by LinkWithin